The Washington Metro area is becoming a more diverse place for unique event spaces. The DC area is known for it’s beautiful historic buildings and homes, but the diversity of event spaces in this area is changing. Venues like rustic or modern lofts, art galleries, multi-purpose restaurants or renovated buildings are being transformed into event spaces and becoming more popular for social events, parties and galas. The options are expanding and I want to share with you some of the event spaces I uncovered in Washington, DC. There are multiple venues for events that are popping up each day in the DC metro area that I plan to cover, but this is the beginning of many blogs about event spaces in the area.
SHERATON PENTAGON CITY
Address: 900 S Orme St.,
Arlington, VA 22204
We are proud to offer one of the largest meeting facilities in the D.C. area, boasting 25,000 square feet of meeting space. Most are located on the same level and all of our meeting rooms feature unobstructed views. With 19 breakout rooms and a spacious exhibit area, we can accommodate groups of up to 900 people. Our Common Wealth Ballroom offers approximately 10,000 square feet of meeting space and our rooftop Galaxy Ballroom provides spectacular, panoramic views of Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia. No matter what size your event may be, our dedicated Convention Services staff will ensure it is a resounding success.
Click here to view our banquet and catering menus.
Number Of Guest Rooms:416
Number Of Meeting Spaces:21
Largest Meeting Space:9,082 sq ft (843.75 sq.m)
Starwood Meetings & Events Features
From intimate events to corporate functions, we provide the tools you need to plan the perfect gathering.
- Executive Meeting Specialist - A dedicated, highly trained Executive Meeting Specialist will be at your side throughout your event, ready to help with anything you and your guests need.
- Non-Smoking Meeting and Event Facilities
- High Speed Internet Access in Meeting/Event Facilities by Request (Charge)
- Convention Services Staff
- Pre-Function Space
- Meeting and Event Facilities
- Complete Audio Visual and Production Services
THE FLYING BRIDGE
Address: 444 North Capitol Street, NW
The Hall of the States
Washington, DC 20007
The Flying Bridge, a premier rooftop venue with one of the most breath taking views of the city, offers a memorable space for your event. Unlike some of the other rooftop venues, this space was built to prevent issues pertaining to the weather.
There is a retractable awning that covers over 2,100 sq. feet of the rooftop. It also has removable clear side panels that can be opened as needed along with heating and air-conditioning that allows it to be used year round for events.
This will definitely prevent clients from spending money on expensive cooling/heating systems and fans.
The enclosed space can accommodate 200 guests for a seated dinner, or 300 for a cocktail reception. The total guest capacity on the rooftop is 470. In addition, there is also a lower terrace available for receptions or dinners that can accommodate up to 300 guests. Caterers will love the kitchen prep area located on the same level as the rooftop space, which makes things easy and efficient.
Whether you are planning a wedding, private affair or gala – this venue will offer you a unique experience along with an unforgettable view.
Address: 3401 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Georgetown is known for its great shopping, but you can’t forget about the amazing restaurants as well! Malmaison is one of those restaurants, which is also a great event space. It is located in a historic, industrial building with unique European architecture. This restaurant offers a French inspired menu, but in addition to great dining, it can easily be transformed into versatile party space for your next affair. There is 4200 square feet of open space with views of the Potomac River, Rosslyn skyline, and the Key Bridge. The space is split into two levels with two full bars, media service (18 foot projector screen), dance floor, private dining area, and separate cocktail bar space.
This event space can hold anything from weddings, corporate events, private group dinners and other special occasions. I think this space works best for more intimate affairs like birthday parties, anniversary dinners and product launches. They have a culinary and events team that can assist you with creating a memorable menu and affair.
Other great features of the space include:
* Lower level dining/bar area is 980 square feet, the upper level bar/lounge area is 1406 square feet
* Accommodates approximately 500 standing, 300 standing with furniture
* Modern, open concept
* Raised, semi private DJ booth with sound system setup
* Covered outdoor area
* 3 fully functioning garage doors on front façade
* Large industrial sized kitchen
* Working fire place
Malmaison is great space that will definitely offer you a modern and stylish feel for your next function!
Address: 731 8th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20001
Tabula Rasa is located in a lively area of South East, DC nestled right in between a variety of shops and restaurants. You would never know that this modern and functional event space existed. The concept of the space started as a meeting place, but it has turned out to be much more than that. When the owners of the space came up with the name Tabula Rasa or “Blank Slate” they wanted it to represent a space that can go from a business meeting by day to cocktail reception by night allowing the space to be seen as a versatile environment.
Some of the highlights of the space include:
* 1,095 -square foot, ground-floor event space, featuring state-of-the-art video and sound systems
* 8-foot-long custom made rolling laptop bar, contemporary; suitable for cocktails, stationary hors d’oeuvres, and product displays
* White lounge and conference room furniture, including white leather sofa and club chair, cafe tables, birch and Herman Miller chairs
* Spacious professional prep kitchen, which may be used by the client’s choice of caterer or one of our catering partners
* Adjustable track lights, LED, A/V equipment, signage and other rigging
* Ceiling grid for art and other decorative installations
* Dedicated high-speed, wireless Internet
* Easy street-level load-in and load-out, as well as alley access
* Accommodates up to 40 guests for a seated dinner or 100 people for cocktails
* Handicapped accessibility
* Street-level advertising opportunities, including one over-sized display window
This venue is definitely a great fit for any intimate affair ranging from birthday parties to boutique pop ups. As stated on the website, “the indoor/outdoor component allows for guests to move freely, while also enjoying the quaint courtyard, which is the connector between the front and back part of the venue. The white walls and clean look of the venue truly allows for customization of the event and transformation of the space”. This event space is a hidden gem in the city that you should definitely consider for your next intimate function.
Address: 3255 Grace Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
As you turn down this small side street in Georgetown, you would never imagine that a raw, yet beautiful event space exists there – The Powerhouse. It’s not your typical venue in the DC metro area. Although there is something to be said about the character of a historic museum or home, it’s nice to also have options for that modern, industrial feel. It truly is a blank slate, allowing any planner’s vision to come alive in this space. The exposed brick, steel beams, 30’ high ceilings, dramatic smoke stack and large windows provide a unique backdrop for any event. A large outdoor courtyard and trestle bridge connect the Powerhouse to M Street and the Shops at Georgetown Park.
Some of the other features of the space include:
* 2 story venue with 6,500 square feet of event space
* Second floor mezzanine balcony looking over a potential dance floor
* Fully renovated to include brand new top-of-the-line bathrooms and a catering prep kitchen
* State-of-the-art sound system with audio inputs throughout the space, fully wired for easy event lighting installation
Another challenge in the DC area is finding large venues that can hold 300 or more guests outside of a hotel or museum. There is enough space at The Powerhouse to hold a large wedding, party or gala, but also accommodate an intimate affair. The Powerhouse is truly a versatile space. You don’t have to worry about another function interfering with your event, because the space is exclusively yours. Unlike many other spaces in the city, this venue is strictly an event space. It’s refreshing as a planner to see my options expanding – so that I am truly able to offer a space that suits the needs of my diverse clientele.